Nebowa Christian Service Camp was formed in 1950 by a group of independent Christian Churches from Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa wanting a place where their youth could attend camp. The name "Nebowa" is formed from the names of the states and Nebraska and Iowa. Blue Lake, an old oxbow of the Missouri River and located just west of Onawa, Iowa, was the perfect location. On the northeast shore of the lake sat a five acre peninsula owned by the Reynolds family. Its only use was a cow pasture and they gladly allowed the camp to utilize it. Mostly donated labor and materials were used to construct the chapel, dining hall, and dorms.
The flood of 1952 wiped out the camp, and the area churches were forced to start over again. Gradually over time, other buildings were added to the camp including a new chapel, bunkhouse for the staff, a health station, shop, and sleeping quarters for the manager.
In 2008, a tornado destroyed a neighboring Boy Scout camp killing four of their campers. The camp board aggressively pursued more land where they could construct a tornado-safe structure. Mike & Jean Larsen, located just north of the camp, provided 13 acres allowing Nebowa to build a 30'x80' underground chapel which also serves as their tornado shelter.
Now the camp is planning on constructing new dorms. These would be similar to the underground chapel providing safety and air conditioning to the campers. All projects like these have always been funded through donations. The camp's goal has been to NOT raise camper registration fees to pay for capital improvements. That is why Nebowa is able to offer the lowest camper fees in the area.
- We believe God is the Creator of all things and intentionally created people for a reason.
- We believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and the final authority on all matters of faith.
(2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- We believe there is one God, yet a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
(Matthew 3:16 & 17, John 14:9 & 10)
- We believe Jesus, God's only son, is fully God, was a born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, and died on a cross.
(Galatians 4:4, Philippians 2:6-8, Hebrews 4:15)
- We believe that all have sinned and can be saved only by the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ.
(Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, Hebrews 9:14, Ezekiel 18)
- We believe that those accepting Christ should repent of sin, confess their faith, and be baptized (immersed) into Him.
(Acts 2:38, Romans 6:1-7)
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
(1 Corinthians 15:3-7)
- We believe in the literal return of Christ and the coming judgement as promised in God's word.
(1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 14:12)